20 Fun Facts about DINOSAURS!
1. The word "dinosaur" comes from the Greek words "deinos" meaning "terrible" and "sauros" meaning "lizard."
2. The smallest dinosaur was about the size of a chicken, while the largest dinosaur was as long as a basketball court and as tall as a 6-story building.
3. The earliest dinosaurs lived about 230 million years ago, while the last dinosaurs lived about 65 million years ago.
4. Dinosaurs are classified into two main groups: Saurischia (lizard-hipped) and Ornithischia (bird-hipped).
5. Some dinosaurs had feathers, including the Velociraptor, which is thought to have looked similar to a modern-day bird.
6. The Stegosaurus had a brain the size of a walnut, making it one of the least intelligent dinosaurs.
7. The T. rex had the strongest bite of any animal that has ever lived, with a bite force of about 12,800 pounds.
8. Triceratops had up to 800 teeth, although they only used a small portion of them at any given time.
9. The Brachiosaurus, a type of sauropod dinosaur, had a neck that was over 30 feet long.
10. The Spinosaurus had a sail-like structure on its back that may have helped it regulate its body temperature or attract mates.
11. Many dinosaurs had hollow bones, which made them lightweight and helped them move more easily.
12. The Ankylosaurus had a club-like tail that it could use to defend itself from predators.
13. Some dinosaurs, like the Parasaurolophus, had elaborate head crests that may have been used for communication or to attract mates.
14. Some dinosaurs were cannibals, with evidence suggesting that T. rex may have preyed on other members of its own species.
15. The Deinonychus is thought to have been one of the most intelligent dinosaurs, with a brain size that was proportionally larger than many other dinosaurs.
16. Many dinosaurs were social animals and lived in herds or groups.
17. Some dinosaurs, like the Brachiosaurus, could reach heights of up to 40 feet tall.
18. The Hadrosaur, also known as the "duck-billed" dinosaur, had a mouth that was shaped like a duck's bill and may have been used to filter water and vegetation.
19. The Allosaurus had serrated teeth that were adapted for tearing flesh.
20. The Pterosaur, often mistakenly referred to as a dinosaur, was actually a type of flying reptile that lived alongside dinosaurs.